Saturday, February 26, 2011

Triscuits in the Toaster?

So there were triscuits in the toaster this morning....I know I didn't put them there....but it didn't seem to bother me. As I maneuvered the fork in the toaster to try and pry the triscuits out I couldn't help but laugh. Not two days ago did Barret and I have a snack of Triscuits and cheese, while I thought he was eating them, he was strategically placing them all around the kitchen (there were a few in the dish drainer too). However, none of this matters when your little man is sick (really, it doesn't matter when he is well either). Yesterday brought on an interesting day for Steve and I. Barret took an early nap when I picked him up from the babysitter after work and just didn't seem to be himself. He wasn't interested in eating and he was extremely clingy and even more so whiny. We had made plans to go to Chipotle with some friends, so despite the crabby baby we packed up the car and headed to dinner. Once there, Barret decided he wasn't going to eat dinner either, which he normally can pound down at least half a cheese quesadilla and could probably eat an entire bag of chips if we let him. He was not interested in the slightest bit and just wanted out of there. So, after a long dinner of trying to keep him entertained and happy we walked over to DQ for some ice cream. I just kept thinking, he is his mother's son and what's not better than ice cream? We ordered him his own little cone (which he loves) and wouldn't even touch it. He wanted nothing to do with his ice cream, my ice cream, or even Daddy's Blizzard! What was going on!?! After a sudden outburst in DQ we decided it was time to head out. Mama had a package waiting for her at the UPS store to pick up so we had to drive to the other end of town to pick it up. As we were driving down Veteran's Parkway Barret just whimpered and whimpered. I kept turning around to try and comfort him, offering the various likes: juice, animal crackers, toys, his bear. Everything ended up on the floor. I was getting frustrated and when I looked back to tell him he was just going to have to cry and we would get home as soon as we could, I witnessed the most horrifying thing I've ever seen. Barret was throwing up everywhere. It looked like water being sprayed out of a hose. I panicked and yelled "he's throwing up! Pull over, he's throwing up! Oh my gosh!" I didn't know what to do and I couldn't do anything at the same time. Steve turned around to witness a second spat and we were both in a state of what do we do...There was no where to pull over easily without getting the car bashed into, and there was no way I could take him out of his car seat and pick him up and comfort him. I felt awful and horrible and sick to my stomach all at the same time, but I couldn't help but laugh at the sight I just saw.
Is that terrible of me? To laugh at my 13 month old son who just threw up in the back seat all over himself and he has never been sick like this before? What was wrong with me? Why didn't I cry or rush to his aid by hopping over the seat to sit next to him and comfort him? I'll tell you one thing, probably because I was too worried I was going to do it next.
We finally pulled into a gas station and Daddy ran in to get napkins and I rushed in the back seat, using everything I could find to try and clean him up as best I could. The smell was rancid but the back seat was spared. Our poor sick baby boy was sitting in his throw up and we weren't even close to being home. We had at least a fifteen minute drive ahead of us and I felt terrible.
The entire way Barret was such a trooper and we eventually made it home. We quickly brought him inside stripped him of his clothes and got him in the shower to clean him up and calm him down. As we laid him down in bed for the night I couldn't help but think what a strong little guy he was. Putting up with Mama and Daddy's craziness, our lack of understanding of what he needed and that we shouldn't have gone out, getting sick in the car and not getting any comfort until we got home, and just everything about the night, he handled it all so well.

This morning was supposed to be full of fun and exciting new things, we had planned to go to the Children's Museum and I was so so pumped. But, instead we stayed home and cuddled, took lots of endless naps, and drank a lot of water! It was so fun to see him sit on Daddy's lap while he ate his Eggo this morning (he never sits still, ever!), and to watch him cuddle with Daddy while we watched UP, and even just to feel his strong and endless hugs.
Hopefully tomorrow brings a happy, bouncing, feeling better baby boy, who still wants to cuddle with his Mama and Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment